Thursday, February 3, 2011

Build A Fire Under You

I was recently at a youth group service in the SF Valley. There were a few friends I had came to visit that serve as youth leaders, and one of them being the youth pastor. At the end of the service he asked the students to pick out some tasks from an envelop that would challenge their commitment of their confession that they are Christ followers. They ranged everywhere from doing more chores around the house to fasting from "secular" music.

One of the students I was talking to was reluctant to accept the challenge. So I told 'em I'd take on a challenge–maybe that would encourage them to follow through with theirs. As I was picking one up from the envelop I said aloud, "please don't let it be the music one." Surely enough, of all the 50 pieces of paper with challenges I could've pick, I pick the one that challenged me to fast secular music so I can focus more on reading my Bible.

As much complaining I did, I knew in my heart this had been something I needed to do. In fact, I had just discussed with my step-dad, an audiophile himself, that lately I've been in this phase of listening to just "worship music."

Five years ago I could have easily defined secular music for you; I'd have a hard time now–I've had a paradigm shift about this topic since then. (I don't really want to get expand on this thought-at least not in this blog.) However I couldn't help it, I was already making a list in my head of what secular music I couldn't listen to during this fast. But my friend, the youth pastor, had encouraged me to not look at my loss but rather to shift my focus to what I would gain. He added that many times as Christians we focus too much on our losses that it overshadows the endless gains we obtain when we attempt to deepen our commitment to Jesus.

This gave me an excuse to listen to and explore new "non-secular music"...haha...I can't say that without laughing...anyway, so I'll be posting up artists/bands that I've been listening to for the next three and a half weeks.


Thursday, 02.03.11
John Mark McMillan: The Medicine
fav tracks: How He Loves, Dress Us Up, Skeleton Bones

Various Artist: Shine Like Stars
fav tracks: You Are Faithful, Come Away With Me, A Little Longer

George Frideric Handel
Good music to listen to when working on theology papers!

2 comments:

  1. : )

    Your awesome Sal. I didn't know you did it as a way of encouraging one of our youth... I am glad you did.

    Well, I'll be looking forward to reading this blog in the weeks to come. I'll be in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog!

    I have never heard of some of the artist you listened to yesterday. I am very excited about this fast! It really does keep you thinking about God, church and improving yourself all day.

    Thursday 2.3.11 (day 1)

    Yesterday I listened to a lot of Jon Foreman, Brooke Fraser and Sufjan Stevens.

    Something that happened yesterday that was pretty cool was that I went out to breakfast with my cousin and of course i had to play my "non secular" music in the car so I played some Brooke Fraser. She loved Brookes voice, so I am going to buy her the CD and give it to her. She was surprised when I told her she was a Christian artist. I really enjoy sharing music with people and I'm glad I could share Brooke since she really is amazing!

    I did a lot of driving yesterday so i listened to a lot of music.:D

    Wanted to share the lyrics of a song by Jon Foreman. I guess I hadn't listened to the lyrics every other time I heard this song lol. But yesterday I was able to pay attention. I love it even more now! Hope you enjoy is as much as I do!

    Jon Foreman-Instead of a show (summer EP)

    I hate all your show and pretense
    The hypocrisy of your praise
    The hypocrisy of your festivals
    I hate all your show
    Away with your noisy worship
    Away with your noisy hymns
    I stomp on my ears when you're singing 'em
    I hate all your show

    Instead let there be a flood of justice
    An endless procession of righteous living, living
    Instead let there be a flood of justice
    Instead of a show

    Your eyes are closed when you're praying
    You sing right along with the band
    You shine up your shoes for services
    There's blood on your hands
    You turned your back on the homeless
    And the ones that don't fit in your plan
    Quit playing religion games
    There's blood on your hands

    Instead let there be a flood of justice
    An endless procession of righteous living, living
    Instead let there be a flood of justice
    Instead of a show
    I hate all your show

    Let's argue this out
    If your sins are blood red
    Let's argue this out
    You'll be one of the clouds
    Let's argue this out
    Quit fooling around
    Give love to the ones who can't love at all
    Give hope to the ones who got no hope at all
    Stand up for the ones who can't stand at all, all
    I hate all your show
    I hate all your show
    I hate all your show
    I hate all your show

    Instead let there be a flood of justice
    An endless procession of righteous living, living
    Instead let there be a flood of justice
    Instead of a show
    I hate all your show

    ReplyDelete