Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Student's Playlist

So Friday I spent most of my time with my Pastor. We spent a lot of time at Starbucks and Denny's doing some reading...We're starting a sermon series on the book of Mark at our Sunday services which is great because the reading assignment for my New Testament class this week is the Book of Mark. So I've been reading a lot history and context on Mark's Gospel. I didn't really listen to much music yesterday.

However, this morning as I've been reading for school I was listening to a playlist I made a few weeks ago for my time of studying called "The Student's Playlist," which consists mostly of scores from films. I'm not really sure to call this secular music though. (Hear my abbreviated argument before you conclude that I've broken my fast, lol). The purpose of film scores is to serve the story of the film. Stories are human's favorite ways of communicating which is why we find the Bible so full of stories. The Bible uses stories as ways of executing authority by communicating truths through the story. Jesus constantly told stories in the form of parables because he understood that stories were one of the most efficient ways of expressing the truths about God he was trying to convey... Thus my love for stories, thus my love for film scores, thus this godly playlist. hehe...

>>You can also follow me on Ping

Thomas Newman
Shawshank Redemption
Road to Perdition
Revolutionary Road

John Williams
Artificial Intelligence

Alexandre Desplat
Birth
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Yann Tiersen
Amelie

Bill Conti
Rocky

Gustavo Santaolalla
Motorcycle Diaries
Brokeback Mountain
Amores Perros



p.s. not sure I have time to blog everyday during this fast, but I'll try! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment